Sunday, November 21, 2010

Misspelling on headstone

I spent some more time at Evergreen Cemetery this weekend and found several more headstones with names to research.

One headstone, however, stood out.

It looks like a "normal" headstone, not a typical veteran's stone, and the only reason I found it was that an American flag stuck in the headstone next to it caught my attention

On the base, it says "Civil War Vertran" - that is correct - they misspelled "veteran" on the headstone of Harvey Liggett.

I'll now research him a bit more - I see 2 Harvey Liggetts in Ohio units so I'll have to try to figure out which one was him, but I have found that he had an obituary in the Kentucky Post in 1924, so I'll have to find that article and see what it shows.

Here are 3 pictures I took of his stone.



2 comments:

  1. I would like to suggest that you might use "white" chalk to highlight the letters on the tomb stones. It would show up much better on your pictures and wash off when it rains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting idea. Thanks for posting it - I will certainly consider it

    ReplyDelete