Tuesday, January 18, 2011

James Carr, part 6 (final) , investigation hindered

Below is the final installment of this series. I will likely go back to the normal once-per-week posting of headstones and obituaries soon. I have a few more multi-part stories to do in the future, but need to finish up some research and some editing of them. I have plenty of pictures though of these other headstones coming up. 
--
Here is the last article I was able to find on this crime. It appears that the killer(s) got away with his/her/their deed.

I do sympathize with the police as it must have been frustrating not to be able to proceed, but I can't say I disagree with the law that requires evidence be obtained before a suspect is arrested.

If I ever find any more about this, I'll post it here.

Kentucky Post  April 29, 1915

Legislation Stops Police Work in Case

Newport Police claim the act passed by the 1912 Legislature, providing no officer may arrest a suspect in any case unless some strong evidence is secured against the suspect is hindering clearing of the case of James Carr, war veteran, found murdered in his shack, Southgate-st., Newport Feb 5.

Detectives Burnside and Howe say they know the slayer but unless the act is repealed their hands are tied.

The only possible way of securing conviction in this case, claim the police, is to obtain a confession.

No comments:

Post a Comment